No callback for Krippner after covid outbreak in Minster’s choir
A special BBC Radio recording of a Choral Evensong, due to take place in Croydon Minster tomorrow, has been canceled after Music Director Dr Ronny Krippner and several members of the choir tested positive for covid-19 .
The news is a blow to the cathedral’s music community, as the cancellation comes in Krippner’s final week after nine years at the cathedral, before he leaves to take a post at Ripon Cathedral.
On Christmas Eve in 2019, 2 million viewers tuned in to the BBC’s live television broadcast of Midnight Mass from the Minster, with musical performances that impressed so much that the Corporation’s producers have returned to Croydon several times since, with this week’s recording just the last visit.
Krippner’s influence on cathedral music has been profound, achieved with talented young people, teenage choristers and a range of adult voices.
It is not yet clear how the covid outbreak will affect the rest of the Christmas week services, including another BBC recording slated for Wednesday.
The minister has yet to make an official announcement.
Become a patron!
- If you have a feature on life in or around Croydon, or if you would like to publicize your association or resident business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works in conjunction with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTY BOROUGH AWARD: Croydon was named the rottenest borough in the country for 2020 in the annual civic scam roundup in Private detective magazine – the Fourth year in a row that Inside Croydon has been the source of these award-winning nominations
- Inside Croydon: 3 million page views in 2020. Sseen by 1.4 million unique visitors