Hello and welcome to our running series where we showcase some of our favorite new stuff from the last few days before our favorite day, Friday!
So, without further ado, let’s move on to songs by Valerie June, Eels, LP, alt-J, Josiah Johnson, Let’s Eat Grandma, and more.
1. Recent Grammy nominee Valerie June released a new acoustic rendition of her song “Within You” from her 2021 album, The moon and the stars: prescriptions for dreamers. The trail is thoughtful, charming, and invites you to look both inward and out to the stars.
2. LP released a new live video for the song “My Body” from the album, Churches, this week. Performing in front of a crowded audience at the Omera Club in London, LP presents one of the song’s very first public performances. “The record hadn’t been released yet, so we were trying to give people a taste of things they hadn’t heard yet,” they told Under the Radar. Watch the video.
3. British pop group Let’s Eat Grandma have released a new and rather topical video for the song, “Happy New Year”. Check out the exciting new video below. Any chance to include tennis is a bonus, of course!
4. Alison Wonderland has released the new song and video for “Fear Of Dying”, which you can check out below. The song and the choppy visual have depth and a sense of precarious security. And when the drop falls. Boom!
5. High Flying Birds by Noel Gallagher released a new single this week, “Trying To Find A World That’s Been And Gone: Part 1 (Demo)”. The acoustic song presents that characteristic Oasis grip with a mature sense of foreboding.
6. Indie rock band Eels released a new song this week, “Amateur Hour”, that really gets your hair going. The song is one-part surf rock, a serious report on the world. Check out the new track below.
7. Expert electronic group alt-J have released a new video and new single for the song, “Hard Drive Gold,” from the band’s upcoming LP in February. No other band looks like alt-J. They are contagious. Just like the amazing new video. Check out the new work below.
8. Nell & The Flaming Lips, the band made up of beloved indie rock band The Flaming Lips and teenage singer Nell, performed a song from their latest LP on Colbert this week. Check out their rendition of Nick Cave’s song, “Red Right Hand”, below.
9. Seattle singer-songwriter and singer Jason McCue released a new acoustic track today, “Eyes.” According to McCue of the song to the sound of Elliot Smith, “‘Eyes’ is a wispy indie-folk song about stepping into a dark landscape and believing that things will turn out well.” Find out below.
10. Grammy-nominated DJ and producer Steve Aoki and Shaquille O’Neal (aka DJ Diesel) have released an important new track (of course!), “Welcome To The Playhouse”, which you can check out below. Discover Shaq’s rap!
11. Toronto rock band Broken Social Scene released their 2010 B-side song, “Curse Your Fail” today. The song was previously only available on vinyl. Check out the new nimble and thoughtful tune below.
12. Carly Pearce and Ashley McBryde released an acoustic version of the storytelling song, “Never Wanted To Be That Girl”, which you can experience below in all of its rhythmic and harmonious wonders!