The interior of the Provo Community Congregational United Church of Christ is pictured in Provo Thursday, Dec. 16, 2021. This church is holding an Easter sunrise service on Sunday. (Laura Seitz, Deseret News)
Estimated reading time: 5-6 minutes
SALT LAKE CITY – Christians around the world are celebrating Easter this weekend with special church services, egg hunts and chocolate to to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Some events happening in Utah this Easter weekend include:
- Gateway Virtual Egg Hunt: The Salt Lake City mall is hosting a virtual egg hunt, inviting people to find Easter eggs hidden in photos on their Facebook, instagram and ICT Tac social media accounts. Find as many eggs as you can and email the answer to email@example.com today and you’ll be entered into a draw for giveaways from Gateway Restaurants and Merchants.
- Easter Egg Hunt in West Jordan: The town is hosting a free egg hunt on Saturday for kids ages 2-15. Students from Copper Hills High School helped provide over 26,000 eggs for the hunt. It will take place at 9 a.m. at the Utah Youth Soccer Complex, 7965 S. 4000 West.
- Loveland Living Planet Aquarium Egg Festival: The aquarium, at 12033 S. Lone Peak Parkway in Draper, is holding its first egg hunt on Saturday. The event includes races, face painting, music and educational presentations, and runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with the egg hunt at noon.
- Bunny Hop by Riverton: Children under 12 will have the opportunity to get candy and prizes and meet the Easter Bunny on Saturdays starting at 10 a.m. at Riverton City Park, 1452 W. 12600 South.
- The American Legion Easter Egg Hunt: Post 112, an American Legion District 8 Veterans Post, is holding an egg hunt Sunday morning at 8 a.m. at Murray Park, 292 E. Murray Park Avenue. Children of all ages are welcome to participate. The organizers ask participants to arrive at least 15 minutes in advance.
- Other Easter events and egg hunts, including one in the dark and another in a pool in Salt Lake City, can be found at the Visit Salt Lake website.
- Easter Alpine Hike: This event offers people the opportunity to remember Jesus Christ on a self-guided walk at the Watkins family farm in Alpine. Visitors are asked “to be respectful and to speak in a low voice so that everyone can feel the significance of this event”. The march, which begins at the intersection of Eastview Lane and Watkins Circle, is open to the public until Wednesday from 10 a.m. until dusk.
- Tabernacle of the Old Testament: A life-size replica of the Old Testament Tabernacle is on display at the Bountiful Tabernacle, 55 S. Main Street, and is open for tours. Free tickets can be found on tabernacle2022.com and are available until May 4.
- “The Lamb of God – A Spectacular Concert”: The Easter Musical, created by Rob Gardner, plays this weekend at the Eccles Theater, 131 Main, in Salt Lake City. Some tickets are still available on arttix.org.
- Provo Community Congregational United Church of Christ: The Provo Community Church will hold a special Easter Sunday service at 11 a.m. and a sunrise service at 7 a.m., with music from the Utah Valley Interfaith Choir. All members of the community are invited to attend in person at 175 N. University Ave., or online via their Facebook page. There will be breakfast after the sunrise service.
- Madeleine Cathedral: The beautiful and historic Roman Catholic Mother Church of Utah will hold Easter Mass on Sundays at 8 a.m., 10 a.m., 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Congregations across the state will hold Sunday services during their regular hours, many of which will be special Easter services. Click here to find a service time and location near you. “May the glorious meaning of Easter inspire everyone to follow Jesus Christ and love one another as he taught in word and deed,” the First Presidency of the Church said. in a statement released Wednesday.
- New Hope Calvary Chapel in Lehi: The church holds two services on Easter Sunday, one at 9:15 a.m. and another at 11 a.m. They will also have inflatable games and an egg hunt. The church is located at 580 State Street, Unit A, Lehi.
- Mount Olympus Presbyterian Church: Easter services are scheduled on Sundays at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., in addition to an evening service on Good Friday at 7 p.m. The 8:30 a.m. service is traditional worship, and the 11 a.m. service is contemporary and will have a online option on Facebook.
- Chapel of Calvary Saint-Georges: The church invites community members to Tuacahn, 1100 Tuacahn Dr. in Ivins, for Easter services on Sundays at 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. This service will also be available online.
This is just a sample of the church services available this weekend, other organizations and churches may also have their own programs and events for the holiday. Contact them for more information.
If you know of a public Easter event that isn’t mentioned above, leave it in a comment.