Anderson Parks will offer many summer activities | News
ANDERSON – Live music, summer camp, workouts and paddle boats are all part of the upcoming activities sponsored by the Anderson Parks and Recreation Department.
- The summer concert series begins June 3 in downtown Dickmann and runs through October 7. All concerts begin at 7:30 p.m. The July 2 event with artist Corey Cox will be at Athletic Park as part of the Independence Day celebration, which includes a parade and fireworks .
- A free summer training program will take place June 2 through August 25 in Jackson Park, with rain dates at the Geater Center. The program is for all ages and features giveaways and raffle prizes. Sessions will be from 6-7:30 p.m. on Mondays (boot camp with Frank Malone), Tuesdays (line dancing led by Stacia Williams) and Thursdays (strength and flexibility exercises with Jacobi). No registration necessary.
- Free summer camp June 8 through July 22 at the Geater Center and Zion Baptist Church. Young people from kindergarten to grade 6 can participate from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday in recreational activities; literacy; science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education; and more. Each site can accommodate 65 young people. To register, go to www.cityofanderson.com/174/Parks-Recreation, click on Youth Activities, create an account or log in to your account and register. For questions or registration assistance, call the parks office at 765-648-6858.
- A bike safety event will take place from 5-7 p.m. on June 9 at the Geater Center. Kids can learn about bike safety, gear up and receive a free helmet, and get first aid kits and bike accessories. There will be a raffle for free bikes, as well as a customization station for decorating helmets. No registration necessary.
- Kayaks and paddle boats can be rented at Shadyside Lake starting June 3.
Follow Ken de la Bastide on Twitter @KendelaBastide, or call 765-640-4863.