The War Memorial, 32 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Farms, features “Voices and Votes: Democracy in America,” the traveling version of a major exhibit at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. The exhibition is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays, until January 8. The exhibit is free, but customers must register for specific times to visit. Masks are mandatory in the shed.
La Maison Edsel & Eleanor Ford, 1100 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Shores, offers the following programs:
* Starry Lights, Thursday through Sunday, through January 9.
* Holiday House Tours and Grounds Pass, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, until January 9.
* Story Time: “A Day So Gray,” 10:30 am Tuesday, January 11.
* Conference: “Art movements: the driving forces that inspired Edsel Ford”, 7 pm, Thursday, January 13.
* Meditation by electronics and light, 7:00 p.m., Friday, January 21.
For tickets and information, visit fordhouse.org.
The Neighborhood Club, 17150 Waterloo, Ville de Grosse Pointe, presents “Breath and Integrated Movement”, from 11:45 am to 1 pm, Saturdays from January 8 to February 5. The four-week workshop is led by yoga instructor Cass Ghiorse. . The cost is $ 50 for members, $ 75 for non-members. Register before Thursday, January 6 at the neighborhood
Mini Picassos, 20802 Lennon, Harper Woods, offers the following winter courses and workshops:
* Art Club, 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., Thursdays, January 6 to February 3. The cost is $ 115.
* Mini Picassos Saturday Art Club, Saturdays 10:30 a.m. to noon, January 8 to February 5. The cost is $ 145.
* Slime workshop: the basics, from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday January 8. The cost is $ 30.
* Pop-up American Girl Doll Art, 10 a.m. to noon on Sunday, January 16. The cost is $ 60.
* MLK Day Art Pop-Up, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, January 17. The cost is $ 75.
To register, visit minipicassosstudio.com or call (313) 283-6710.
The Pear Tree Questers will meet at 11:30 am on Friday January 7 at the Ardmore Café in St. Clair Shores. The group will bring old cards for a discussion of old greeting cards through the ages. The day chair will be Pam Barthel. A contribution to the Michigan State Organization of the Questers was made in memory of member Marie Brady, who died in 2021. A donation was also made to the St. Clair Shores Public Library for the Selinsky-Green Museum when the group returned. visited the building. in November.
The Helm at Boll Life Center, 158 Ridge, Grosse Pointe Farms, offers a variety of courses and programs. Registration is required at (313) 882-9600 for:
* Mah Jongg lessons, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Mondays January 10, 17 and 24. The cost is $ 5 for non-members, free for members.
* Happy Hour, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, January 12. The cost is $ 18 for members, $ 22 for non-members. The event includes light appetizers and wine.
* Strategies for Caregivers, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, January 13, with host Kathy Housey.
* The documentary “King: Man of Peace in a Time of War” will air on Monday, January 17 at noon.
* Learn the Hustle, 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays January 18 to April 26, with instructor Kevin Smith.
* Conversational French for new students, Tuesdays from January 18 to April 26 or Thursdays from January 20 to April 28. Classes take place from 11 a.m. to noon for beginners, from noon to 1 p.m. for intermediate students.
* Conversational French for returning students, Fridays January 21 to April 29. Classes take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. for beginners, and from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for intermediate students.
* Mindfulness and Meditation, 11:45 am to 12:45 pm Tuesday, January 18 and 25, with instructor Dr. Lakshmi Saleem. The cost is $ 6 for members, $ 8 for non-members.
The Family Center
* The Family Center presents “What Every Parent Should Know About Vaping,” 7-8 p.m. Wednesday, January 12, via Zoom. To register, visit familycenterweb.org.
* The Family Center presents “New Parent Coffee Hour”, 10:30 am to 11:30 am, Tuesday, January 18, at the War Memorial, 32 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Farms. Local therapist Mary Petersen will talk about establishing healthy boundaries around your new family.
* The Family Center presents the “Community Reading Club”, from 7 pm to 8 pm on Tuesday, January 25, at Whiskey Six, 646 St. Clair, Ville de Grosse Pointe. The group will discuss “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Viktor Frankl.
The American Red Cross organizes the following blood drives:
* 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, January 11, Grosse Pointe Woods Presbyterian Church, 19950 Mack.
* 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, January 12, University Liggett School, 1045 Cook, Grosse Pointe Woods.
* 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday January 14, Christ Church Grosse Pointe, 61, boul. Grosse Pointe, Fermes Grosse Pointe.
* 1 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 19, Jefferson Masonic Lodge # 553, 22000 E. 11 Mile, St. Clair Shores.
* 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday January 26, Christ Church Grosse Pointe, 61 boul. Grosse Pointe, Fermes Grosse Pointe.
* 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, January 27, Cornerstone Church, 17017 E. 12 Mile, Roseville.
Register online on redcrossblood.org.
Healthy Grosse Pointe & Harper Woods meets via Zoom at 8:30 a.m. on the third Wednesday of each month. Its mission is to reduce substance abuse among youth and in the community, as well as to promote optimal mental health through action, education and collaboration. Those interested in attending the meetings should email Sasha Murphy at email@example.com.
The Alliance Française de Grosse Pointe is an organization that promotes French culture through monthly activities for its members. The group is looking for members for its new membership year, which begins in September. It also offers French courses for adults at the Assumption Cultural Center, from September to May each year. Detailed information on membership and French courses can be found at afdegrossepointe.org.
Northeastern Toastmasters meets via Zoom at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Monday of each month. Call (313) 720-8444 for the link and password.
Edge of the lake
Lakeshore Senior Living hosts the Facebook Live Q&A, “Ask the Therapist” 1:30 pm to 2:00 pm Wednesdays, and “Coffee Break Chat with Rachel,” with Director of Sales and Marketing Rachel Nagorsen , 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. For more information, call (586) 218-6228.